A New Binding and Custom Box for a 19th Century Book

This book was originally sewn on cords and bound in calfskin.

Most of the signatures needed guarding before it could be re-sewn and I also mended many of the pages with Japanese tissue and paste.  I then sewed the book on new cords, using the original notches, on a sewing frame.

Once I finished sewing, I added new endsheets and built the spine.

To prepare the goatskin for the new case, I pared the edges using a paring machine.

Once the case was made, I debossed the leather with service type using gold foil.

I cased in the book and pressed it overnight in a nipping press.  I constructed new headbands for the book with old shirting.

Lastly, I built a custom-sized clamshell box for the book.